- A check or cash for $15.00. The check should be made out to STMA.
- A paint shirt
- Miscellaneous found objects
- Sketch book/folder/binder
- Plastic bags
- The art work will consist of a relationship to aesthetics, art history, art criticism, and studio work. The majority of your grade will result from your project work. All students must follow the project objectives, and must complete by the final deadline given. Excused absences.
- All students must have a pencil and eraser.
- Work habits. All students must work during class time, and try to participate in class discussions. This will be part of your grade.
- BE CREATIVE AND Original
Originality and Plagiarism
Originality and creativity are important components of this course. Students will not make direct use of another artist’s work and call it their own; this violates copyright laws and is plagiarism, and will result in an automatic failure for the project, and possibly the class. Students are encouraged to work only from personal photographs that they themselves have taken. Other artist’s work may be used as reference for personal artwork, but the work being referenced should be altered to such a degree that the original artist’s intent is in no way recognizable in the student’s work. Copying and/or duplicating of another artist work and calling it your own is cheating and fraudulent, and is not permissible in this course.
Lecture, group and individual discussion, independent and group projects, art criticism writings and readings.
Overarching Learning Targets
- Create artwork that expresses an idea and demonstrates learning.
- Create a collection of artwork.
- Participate in an art studio.
- Revise my artwork based on feedback.
- Reflect on my artwork.
- Analyze artwork.
This is an advanced class in the art department at STMA. Some of the expectations for the class are:
- Continual work in class (USE the class time that is available!)
- Please stay off your cell phones. Keep them in your pocket.
- Work outside of class time (you will NOT be able to complete all the work this class entails during class time only!)
- Keeping your work and material organized and clean (Sketchbook/ binder/ portfolio)
- Exploring new and creative themes (not hashing and rehashing old or the same concepts)
- Exploring new mediums that you might not be familiar with.
- Challenge yourself to work outside your comfort zone in art.
- Persevere through struggles during the art making process
- Seek out extra help and guidance if needed (other students or me)
- Demonstrate skill, craftsmanship and effort during the art making process (show respect for your work!)
- Begin to understand that art is not made in a vacuum and that it is influenced by history and the world around us and you!
- Critiques are an important part of the art making process
- Understand that being able to describe and discuss your work using proper terminology is an important part of being an artist.
- Look at artwork daily (artwork is not created in a vacuum)
- Each others work
- Get ideas from one another
- Unique/Creative work
- Talk about art
- Use your sketchbook!!!!
- Create your own work that is not due for this class!!
- Work begets work
- Visit the local museums and galleries
- MIA (Minneapolis Institute of Art)
- MCAD (Minneapolis College of Art and Design)
- Walker (Loring Park Area/Downtown Minneapolis)
- Weisman (University of Minnesota)
- Gallery 360, Mpls.
Be in your assigned seats at the bell and quiet. Remain in your seats until attendance is taken, and directions for the day are given.
You will not leave the room without permission from the teacher. You will not enter the other art room with out permission or purpose.
- Profane or indecent language will not be tolerated.
- No eating or drinking will be allowed in the classroom.
- You must be working during class time – do not misuse time given to work on your projects. All time in class is to be used for your art only.
- Maintain a quiet working atmosphere – no talking across the room, loud unnecessary noise, or wondering from table to table.
- Clean up your work area and art tools is mandatory; please do not leave a mess. You are responsible to keep tools and your work area clean.
- Do not touch other students work, vandalism will not be tolerated.
- Insubordinate behavior will not be tolerated.
- YOU MUST HAVE YOUR STUDENT PASS BOOK AT ALL TIMES!
THE FOLLOWING ARE SUBJECT I WILL NOT ACCEPT AS AN ASSIGNMENT
- Sex related subjects/ Nudity or partial
- Tobacco, alcohol, or drugs
- Violence graphically portrayed
- Gang related subjects
- Satanism/ cults/ symbols from these area
- No weapons of any sort!